Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Here are today’s assignments:
IXL Math – please continue to practice your math facts!
No assigned Math pages but I sent via email a couple optional math pages to do just for practice. Thanks!
Please log into ConnectEd and go to Unit 10, Lesson 1, Day 4
- page 177: Spelling – sort the spelling words under the correct heading.
Read: Core Decodable 106 – Picking Flowers
Play: Unit 10 eGame – Lesson 1, Foundational Skills
Mrs. Burkholder has asked that you complete the following: This is OPTIONAL.
This Land Is Your Land (Woody Guthrie) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKU8awk7Vg
- Students can march in place to the beat of this song
- Students can keep the steady beat on their laps
- Have students listen to the different places that are mentioned in the lyrics, and ask for students to recall where, by drawing pictures
Composer: John Philip Sousa –
- Have students listen to this song, while keeping the beat on their laps, and then begin marching around the room to the beat of the song
- Explain to the students that Sousa, the composer of “Guide Right” above, was born in Washington D.C. in 1854 and his father played the trombone in the U.S. Marine Band, the official band of the President of the United States, and eventually Sousa directed that group as well.
- Students could conduct a 2/4 pattern along with the song
JUST FOR FUN…
Every week in April, on the Library of Congress’ website, Dav Pilkey will teach students how to draw a different Pilkey Character. See the website video links below for more information. All videos will be posted on Friday mornings.
Intro Video: https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9084/
How to Draw Big Jim: https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9090/
Reading DogMan Unleashed: https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9091/
WRITING JOURNAL PROMPTS
- Wednesday – On Easter…pdf. page 9
- Watch Formed (see link under my “Helpful Links”) – Brother Francis: The Bread of Life, Celebrating of the Eucharist
- Zoom Meeting at 10:00 – Mrs. Baker is going to read Benjamin’s Box and share Resurrection Eggs
- Join STM Live to pray the rosary at 9:30
PE LOGS ARE NO LONGER NEEDED!
After discussing with Mrs. DeWolfe, it has been decided that your individual sign-off sheet will be sufficient for recording your child/ren’s physical activity! Thank you for understanding and hopefully this will be one less thing for you to worry about.
On YouTube with Mrs. Espinosa! You can find the daily links on Mrs. Espinosa’s blog at https://stmcatholic.org/teacher/rachele/
This week Mrs. Poniatowski will be teaching Lesson 18 – Problem Solving Steps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBa5Kn7Hlw
After we return from spring break, I will be scheduling regular Zoom meetings for every Tuesday beginning April 21 at 11:00. I will also be scheduling “office hours” every Friday beginning April 24 from 11:00 -12:00. All Zoom meetings are certainly optional on your part but I do look forward to seeing all my little friends. The Friday office hours are just for the kids to pop in and out and chat with me one-on-one or with a small group. It’s also a great time to ask me any questions about the assigned classwork. I’m happy to hear some reading too!
I love all the pictures! Please keep them coming!
I am available for email communication ANYTIME!
JOKE OF THE DAY:
First graders (and Mrs. Cincilla) just love funny jokes and riddles! Give this one a try:
Question: Why did the jellybean go to school?
Answer: Because he really wanted to be a Smartie!
May the spirit of the Lord fill your home this Easter.